Sumy National Agrarian University is a multi-disciplinary higher educational institution that conducts innovative educational activities at different degrees of higher education, including Doctor of philosophy, conducts applied scientific research, is a leading scientific and methodical center, has a developed infrastructure of educational, research and scientific-production departments, promotes sharing research knowledge and conducts cultural and educational activities.
The University was founded in 1977. Sumy National Agrarian University has gained rich experience and set creative, staff, research and methodical potential sufficient to become the leading national research and educational regional educational center. This is the only regional higher educational institution of natural science, which has been given the status of a national one.
The main tasks of Sumy NAU are provided in the Strategy of the development of Sumy National Agrarian University (hereinafter the Strategy).
The mission of the University is to create high-quality conditions for the provision of high-quality education by combining modern teaching and research methods in accordance with the needs of the agro-industrial sector of Ukraine, the state, science, economics and culture in general, including high-level educational activities, which ensure that higher education graduates receive the appropriate degree in their chosen specialties, conducting research work and ensuring the creative activity of participants in the educational process, training of highly qualified research staff and the use of the results obtained in the educational process.
Strategic goals that ensure the mission are:
- in the field of education – maintaining leadership in training and ensuring the competitiveness of specialists for the agro-industrial complex and related industries;
- in scientific activity – international recognition of scientific results of the university and their implementation in production;
- in international cooperation – to increase the international standing of the University, to ensure international standards of quality of educational services;
- in staff policy – development of competency characteristics, improvement of the qualitative level of the scientific and pedagogical team;
- in the field of information support – implementation of the latest information technologies and software in all areas of the University’s activities;
- in image politics – a comprehensive promotion of all innovative changes of the University, which will ensure its positive perception of the public as an educational institution of the European type;
- in the field of logistics – development of the material and technical base in accordance with international standards.
Sumy National Agrarian University implements its mission by achieving the following strategic goals, namely:
- To participate in ensuring the social and economic development of the state through the formation of human capital assets;
- To create a personality by means of patriotic, legal, ecological education, assertion of participants in the educational process of moral values, social activity, public position and responsibility, healthy lifestyle, ability to think freely and engage self-realization in modern conditions;
- To provide with combined educational process which consists of educational, scientific and innovative activity;
- To create the necessary conditions necessary to implement abilities and talents by persons engaged in the educational process;
- To preserve and enhance of moral, cultural, scientific values and achievements of society;
- To share knowledge with the population, raising the educational and cultural level of citizens;
- To establish international relations and conduct international activities in the field of education, science, sports, art and culture;
- To study the demand for some specialties in the labor market.
- To develop the creative potential of the University teachers of the research university constantly.
Our values are:
- Human dignity;
- Knowledge and intelligence;
- Leadership and high standards;
- Sense of nationhood and civil responsibility;
- Culture, ethics and tolerance.
Strategic Tasks of Sumy National Agrarian University.
In the educational sphere
- development of the university education system by analogy with the European one;
- working out the strategic approaches to the development of the university on the basis of determining the quantitative and qualitative parameters of the institution that are related to the medium- and long-term prediction of staffing needs, taking into account the development of all forms of management, including farms, as well as trends in the decentralization of industry management and the development of processing infrastructure, other organizational forms of farming in the countryside.
- strengthening the interaction between the university and employers, for example, cooperation with such corporations as Kernel, UkrLandFarming in the direction of educational-scientific-production cooperation: harmonization of curricula and discipline programs, practical training, internship of teachers, course and diploma designing, employment.
- development of new and improvement of existing university curricula and programs, taking into account the mission and status of the university, as well as the requirements of modern production as for the quality of a specialist;
- creation and development of the modern learning environment for educational and research purposes;
- participation in the development and implementation of state standards of education of a new generation, national system of qualifications, informational support and computerization of educational process;
- introduction of systematic use of information and communication technologies in the educational process;
- elimination of plagiarism and provision of the objective assessment of knowledge;
- involvement of leading businessmen and specialists of the industry to work in scientific and advisory bodies, including inviting them to participate in the development of educational qualification characteristics of graduates, teaching courses, organizing practices and internships for students and teachers;
- providing Masters- graduates with master’s programs for foreign languages acquisition with the confirmation of national and internationally recognized language certificates elimination of corruption and copyright fraud, the introduction of a system of punishment for those who contribute to unfair knowledge evaluation.
- introduction of professional internship with the subsequent voluntary professional certification, which confirms the obtained qualification level;
- university partnership with research institutes of Ukraine and other countries, research institutions and enterprises, in particular, by creating joint certification programs for the training of specialists;
- enhancing the participation of the University in international academic mobility programs;
- advancing the scientific component of master’s programs;
- conducting international, all-Ukrainian and regional student academic competitions and competitions of student’s scientific works;
- providing access to world educational and scientific resources be means of the Internet;
- introduction of inclusive education system for people with physical disabilities;
- creation of an effective system of internship of the university teachers, their professional development.
In the scientific sphere
- effective cooperation with the institutions of NAASU and specialized institutions of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine;
- reporting on the results of the scientific work of the university teachers in monographs and articles, including international editions, and those ones included in the international science-computer bases such as Scopus, Web of Science;
- engagement of foreign scientists and business representatives to scientific events (conferences, seminars, round tables);
- financing of scientific activities of the departments at the expense of state funds, for-profit activity and grants of international organizations;
- directing the work of the Scientific Society of students, postgraduates and young scientists, with an orientation towards participation in all-Ukrainian and international conferences, competitions, contests and grant programs;
- protection of intellectual property by means of obtaining copyright certificates and patents;
- implementation of research results to the production and other related industries.
In the field of staff support
- creation of favorable conditions for highly effective integration of research and teaching activities;
- development and implementation of the system of stimulation of innovative activity of the university teachers;
- providing all forms of organization of class work involving the university teachers who have degrees;
- stimulation of teachers for the degree of Doctor of Science;
- providing partnerships for graduates of the University.
In the field of education
The strategy of the development of educational and cultural work of Sumy NAU for the period of 2015-2020 provides us with the following directions, namely:
- To increase the role of educational work as part of the overall educational process of Sumy NAU in the development and formation of an active civic and personal position of student youth in the formation of a strong and authoritative state, spiritually enriched, intellectually developed and active personality, emerging formed as a citizen, patriot, highly skilled specialist and the family man, and providing future specialists with fundamental values, ideas and beliefs regarding Ukrainian statehood by expanding the list and content of cultures and educational activities organized by means of the efforts of the university.
- To improve the management system of educational and cultural work including those ones aimed at solving the tasks of the Program. Optimization of the system of interaction between the department of educational and cultural work, faculties, student self-government and other structural departments. To develop methodical recommendations and guidance material, aimed to improve educational work at the university, taking into account the opinion of leading experts in the field of training of Sumy region and Ukraine.
- To develop of teaching and methodical work of the collectives of amateur art by introducing innovative and motivational teaching methods and technologies using multimedia, on-line broadcasts, remote form of educational preparation on the improved platform MOODLE, etc.
- To carry out educational work of the departments of social and humanitarian disciplines and the вdepartment of physical education, conducting upbringing of the students by means of: strengthening cultural, humanitarian, social functions of the content of education; organization of the research work of the students on the material of events and traditions of the development of the state and the Ukrainian Cossacks (participation in competitions, conferences); involving students in propagating democratic and patriotic values among high school students and the population; maintaining and promoting a healthy lifestyle.
- To expand the theme of cultural-educational activities and to keep the traditions. To conduct general university activities where all students take part in various forms, which is a unifying factor in the system of educational work of the university, as well as participants of student amateur teams of Sumy NAU: folk dance group “Vesna”, the group of modern ballroom dance “SWAY” “, the group of modern dance” Sharm “, Student’s Academic Choir” Yunist “, a variety-acrobatic studio” Dakapo “, student youth theatre, vocal studio” SNAU-music “.
- To pay special attention to the work of the organization of student self-government in the educational activity at the hostel. To facilitate the impact of the Student Councils of hostels that fulfil their functions in cooperation with the administration, dean’s offices, and curators. The program of educational activity at the hostel includes cultural education, self-service work, social protection and health care for students. In the student dormitories the subject of special attention of the activists and teachers is devoted to carrying out the prevention activity with first-year students and migrants from the cities of the ATO in terms of their adaptation to the conditions of study and life at the university, issues of prevention of offenses, drug addiction and HIV infection. To discuss these problems at hostels and in student groups.
- The work of the curator is oriented to the creation of a team characterized by mutual understanding, demanding and respect for the individual, stimulating the personal development of each member of the group.
- To create conditions for the development of the system of regional and external mobility among students and faculty within the framework of cultural, educational, scientific and other activities of the University. To expand international cooperation with educational institutions, scientific foundations and organizations of foreign countries in order to study world experience, integration into the European community.
- hen organizing educational work, to pay attention to stimulating students’ activities, evaluating their results, expressed in incentives and awards.
- In the financial sphere, the following directions should be envisaged, namely: improvement of the material and technical component of the Educational Department, which meets the modern requirements for educational processes; formation of a new platform for a student who lives at a university campus, based on comfortable accommodation with all the necessary conditions and amenities, organization of healthy eating and lifestyle; to provide the main hall of the youth entertainment center and special premises with the necessary equipment for the proper holding of solemn events and leisure activities of the student’s youth of the university, the effective work of the clubs and amateur groups on the basis of modern information and communication technologies.
A special role in educational activity rests on the bodies of student self-government, the main tasks are to increase the efficiency of the educational process and provide the students with spiritual and cultural education.
Sumy NAU cooperates with state authorities, local self-government, and public organizations.
Download the SNAU Strategy in PDF format
Sumy National Agrarian University Strategy for the period of 2015-2020